Open wound of thorax S21
- S21 should not be used for reimbursement purposes. Please select a more specific diagnosis below.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM S21 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of S21 - other international versions of ICD-10 S21 may differ.
- any associated injury, such as:
- injury of heart (S26.-)
- injury of intrathoracic organs (S27.-)
- rib fracture (S22.3-, S22.4-)
- spinal cord injury (S24.0-, S24.1-)
- traumatic hemopneumothorax (S27.3)
- traumatic hemothorax (S27.1)
- traumatic pneumothorax (S27.0)
- wound infection
- traumatic amputation (partial) of thorax (S28.1)
Codes: = Billable
S21 Open wound of thorax
- S21.0 Open wound of breast
- S21.1 Open wound of front wall of thorax without penetration into thoracic cavity
- S21.2 Open wound of back wall of thorax without penetration into thoracic cavity
- S21.3 Open wound of front wall of thorax with penetration into thoracic cavity
- S21.4 Open wound of back wall of thorax with penetration into thoracic cavity
- S21.9 Open wound of unspecified part of thorax
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.