Epilepsy and recurrent seizures G40
- G40 should not be used for reimbursement purposes. Please select a more specific diagnosis below.
- The 2019 edition of ICD-10-CM G40 became effective on October 1, 2018.
- This is the American ICD-10-CM version of G40 - other international versions of ICD-10 G40 may differ.
- the following terms are to be considered equivalent to intractable: pharmacoresistant (pharmacologically resistant), treatment resistant, refractory (medically) and poorly controlled
- conversion disorder with seizures (F44.5)
- convulsions NOS (R56.9)
- post traumatic seizures (R56.1)
- seizure (convulsive) NOS (R56.9)
- seizure of newborn (P90)
Codes: = Billable
G40 Epilepsy and recurrent seizures
- G40.0 Localization-related (focal) (partial) idiopathic epilepsy and epileptic syndromes with seizures of localized onset
- G40.1 Localization-related (focal) (partial) symptomatic epilepsy and epileptic syndromes with simple partial seizures
- G40.2 Localization-related (focal) (partial) symptomatic epilepsy and epileptic syndromes with complex partial seizures
- G40.3 Generalized idiopathic epilepsy and epileptic syndromes
- G40.A Absence epileptic syndrome
- G40.B Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy [impulsive petit mal]
- G40.4 Other generalized epilepsy and epileptic syndromes
- G40.5 Epileptic seizures related to external causes
- G40.8 Other epilepsy and recurrent seizures
- G40.9 Epilepsy, unspecified
Reimbursement claims with a date of service on or after October 1, 2015 require the use of ICD-10-CM codes.