The ICD10 chapter for "Neoplasms" covers the section ranges C00-D49.
- Functional activity
- All neoplasms are classified in this chapter, whether they are functionally active or not. An additional code from Chapter 4 may be used, to identify functional activity associated with any neoplasm.
- Morphology [Histology]
- Chapter 2 classifies neoplasms primarily by site (topography), with broad groupings for behavior, malignant, in situ, benign, etc. The Table of Neoplasms should be used to identify the correct topography code. In a few cases, such as for malignant melanoma and certain neuroendocrine tumors, the morphology (histologic type) is included in the category and codes.
- Primary malignant neoplasms overlapping site boundaries
- A primary malignant neoplasm that overlaps two or more contiguous (next to each other) sites should be classified to the subcategory/code .8 ('overlapping lesion'), unless the combination is specifically indexed elsewhere. For multiple neoplasms of the same site that are not contiguous, such as tumors in different quadrants of the same breast, codes for each site should be assigned.
- Malignant neoplasm of ectopic tissue
- Malignant neoplasms of ectopic tissue are to be coded to the site mentioned, e.g., ectopic pancreatic malignant neoplasms are coded to pancreas, unspecified (C25.9).
Codes: = Billable
- C00-C14 Malignant neoplasms of lip, oral cavity and pharynx
- C15-C26 Malignant neoplasms of digestive organs
- C30-C39 Malignant neoplasms of respiratory and intrathoracic organs
- C40-C41 Malignant neoplasms of bone and articular cartilage
- C43-C44 Melanoma and other malignant neoplasms of skin
- C45-C49 Malignant neoplasms of mesothelial and soft tissue
- C50 Malignant neoplasms of breast
- C51-C58 Malignant neoplasms of female genital organs
- C60-C63 Malignant neoplasms of male genital organs
- C64-C68 Malignant neoplasms of urinary tract
- C69-C72 Malignant neoplasms of eye, brain and other parts of central nervous system
- C73-C75 Malignant neoplasms of thyroid and other endocrine glands
- C76-C80 Malignant neoplasms of ill-defined, other secondary and unspecified sites
- C7A Malignant neuroendocrine tumors
- C7B Secondary neuroendocrine tumors
- C81-C96 Malignant neoplasms of lymphoid, hematopoietic and related tissue
- D00-D09 In situ neoplasms
- D10-D36 Benign neoplasms, except benign neuroendocrine tumors
- D37-D48 Neoplasms of uncertain behavior, polycythemia vera and myelodysplastic syndromes
- D3A Benign neuroendocrine tumors
- D49 Neoplasms of unspecified behavior